Advantages of Dental Implants over complete dentures
For some people, especially those with loose or poorly fitted dentures due to flat rims, or people who have lost several teeth and need support for crowns and bridges, implants can be considered the most appropriate alternative, instead of the false teeth, to fix the appearance of the missing teeth. According to the American Academy of Implant Prosthodontists (American Academy of Implant Prosthodontics), implants help:
- Reduce the movement of dentures, bridges and, or crowns.
- Facilitate proper chewing.
- Provide support and improved stability for removable dentures or fixed bridges.
- Approaching the “feel” of natural teeth better than dentures.
- Promote “self-esteem thanks to the advantages of having a denture” as speech and appearance often improve.
WHO ARE THE PROBABLE CANDIDATES FOR DENTAL IMPLANTS?
There are many variables that must be considered before placing an implant:
- The patient must be healthy.
- The healing abilities of the patient affected by the disease could influence the success of an implant.
- An adequate diagnosis must be made before placing an implant.
- The placement and technique is specific to each particular candidate.
- To avoid other complications, the implant or implants must be treated appropriately by the patient and the dentist.
- Smoking and drinking in large quantities can affect the success of the implant.